Here at Winstanley we believe that a healthy diet is essential to your child’s learning, development and well-being. If your child is eligible to receive free school meals, we will provide a free hot meal or baguette plus either a drink or dessert every lunchtime to the value of £2.35 per day, and a free packed lunch whenever attending an off-site visit.
Who is Eligible
Your child may be eligible if you receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
How do I apply?
- E-mail them on [email protected]
- You can download the Free School Meals Application Form (Word doc, 140kb)
- Request an application form on 0116 3056588 or 0116 3057093
- Apply via telephone on 0116 3056588 or 0116 3057093
School Catering Service Contact details
Their postal address is:
School Food Support Service
Tel: 0116 305 6588
If your child is in receipt of free school meals and is transferring to The Winstanley School from a Leicester city school or outside of Leicestershire,
it will be necessary to re-apply to the School Food Support Service by completing the Free School Meals Application Form for when your child attends The Winstanley School.
How this Benefits the School and Your Childs Education
For every child who has been registered to receive a free school meal at any point in the last six years, the school receives £935.00 of funding; this is called Pupil Premium Funding, and we will receive this irrespective of whether or not your child actually takes a free meal. Pupil premium funding is used to support your child and to raise their attainment levels, so registering for free school meals even if your child does not want one can still benefit their education.